:toscomm: :federation: Hot News! :federation: :toscomm:

Have an issue? Submit a ticket to UFStarfleet Support! (Must be logged into the forums to use this)
or through the UFS Discord Support System (More info by clicking here!)

If you are unable to login to your Forum account for whatever reason, you can either A) Contact your Commanding Officer to have your issue submitted on your behalf to UFStarfleet Support website or B) Contact CompOps using the UFS Discord Support System.

Did you know UFS has a Discord server - join your fellow fleetmates there today - Link at the top of this page.

110608 - Murder at the Transporter - Empty Nest

Kinney Randt
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer - USS Veracruz
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

=============================================
United Federation Starfleet
USS Spirit
NCC 60012
=A= Captain's Log =A=
Cmdr Kinney Randt Rhode recording

Stardate: 110608
1.117 LY from Pinastri

Alert Status: Yellow

SS Tranquility received orders to turn prisoner Jo Massenbergbe over to the custody of the USS Magwitch for transport to Justice 1 to stand trial. However, the USS Magwitch never arrived and has dropped out of communication with Starfleet. The last sighting of the Magwitch was by Space Station Thudr, where the Magwich was within 50,000 KM of the station. However, Station Thudr went out of communication shortly after giving this report. The station is owned and operated by a non-Federation species called the Thur, who are on friendly relations with Starfleet, and they have been given permission to have their station deep in Federation territory. The Thur are an avian species, highly intelligent and very peaceful.

Since both the USS Magwitch and space station Thudr were out of communication, Cmdr Randt ordered an away mission to go investigate. The USS Goddard was not available, so the Tranquility crew used the USS Spirit, an Intrepid class ship. When the arrived the area, tactical sensors picked up signs of a battle clear signs of phaser fire and photon torpedoes consistent with Federation ship weapons as well as Orion and Klingon disruptors and torpedoes. There were no signs of wreckage big enough to be a ship, so it is assumed that either the Magwitch survived or was destroyed elsewhere in a running fight. Station Thudr showed no life signs, although they did transmit a distress Call that was partly cut off.

This is the content of the message:

=^= Thunder Station message to any ....ship in range ....... send .. Help We under .....((in the background there is the sound of weapons fire and the then heavy breathing , then the sound of a button being pushed, cutting off the link and it repeats again.)) =^=

In service
Kinney Randt-Rhode
Kinney Randt
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer - USS Veracruz
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

*Crew Roster*

CO Cmdr Kinney Randt-Rhode

Chief Medical Officer LTjg Hermione Highwater
Medical Officer Ens Rhea Czavicevic

Science Officer LTjg Scottybrit "Skot Brit" Resident

Asst Chief of Security LTjg Jamie Czavicevic

Chief of Operations LTjg Tess Tison
Operations Officer LTjg Leighann Mantis
Operations Officer LTjg Piper Hagel
Tess Tison
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian
Duty Post: Operations Officer | USS Sheppard
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

SS Tranquility
SS001
=A= Operations Log=A=

Ops Staff: LTjg Tess Tison, LTjg LeighAnn Mantus, LTjg Piper Hagel

Log Entry:

Having arrived Space Station Thudr, we beamed down to investigate the abandoned station. The first team was tasked primarily with assuring the station was safe and trying to detect scientific evidence of what happened. It consisted of LTjg Tison (team leader), LTjg Czavicevic, LTjg Brit and Doctor Highwater. The second team arrived after the first assure the area was safe, and was primarily tasked with obtaining log data from the computers. The second team was lead by Cmdr Randt and consisted of LTjg Hagel, LTjg Mantus and Doctor Czavicevic.

After the teams collected the evidence, we returned to the Spirit.

-----

Individual Log: LTjg LeighAnn Mantis
Position During Mission: Helm

Upon arriving at Thudr station, the Alpha team, led by Lt. Tison, beamed down for preliminary investigation while Lt. JG Mantis remained with Lt. Hagel and Cmdr. Randt on the Spirit. and carefully manned the Helm.

After a preliminary search by the Alpha away team, it was determined that the station was indeed unoccupied and safe, with only residual evidence that indicated that the Thur had been there.

Cmdr. Randt advised that all weapons be ready and then the Beta team beamed over to the station. Upon arriving at the station, Lt. JG Mantis was ordered to assist in searching the computers for logs concerning the theory that Orions attacked the station and took hostages before the USS Magwitch's arrival.

Lt. JG Mantis quickly found some logs that indicated that the station suffered an attack by two Orion ships and one Klingon Bird of Prey and the logs ended with the crew being surrounded and disarmed in a rather forceful manner. Forcing to keep emotions under control, Lt. JG Mantis copied all logs and gave them to Cmdr. Randt for thorough review.

Subsequently, Lt. JG Mantis was ordered to contact Starfleet and inform them about the rogue group within the Orions that are involved in kidnapping Federation allies. The Lt. JG also determined that the renegade Captain Jo being allied with the Orions and that such an alliance was created willingly.

While other away team members continued their search, Lt. JG Mantis continued searching for evidence of this alliance and their actions in the many station computers.

In the midst of searching, Lt. JG Mantis discovered a log recorded by a Commander Davis of Thudr Station that, according to the tone used, was meant for the Commander's wife. The log indicated that strange green aliens and men with ridges were encroaching on Thudr Station with evil intent. The log was cut off in mid terror of the enemy's approach.

Upon further examination, Lt. JG Mantis determined that the distress log had been recorded approximately nine days prior. Lt. Hagel further determined that said logs had been altered in such a way that constituted that a trap had been carefully set in advance.

After briefly exploring the lower levels to ensure that no further evidence needed collecting. Lt. JG Mantis joined the rest of the crew in beaming back to the USS Spirit, where she resumed her place at the Helm.

-----

Individual Log: LTjg Piper Hagel
Position During Mission: Main Operations

The Commander ordered the first away team to beam to Thudr station. It consisted of Lt. Tison (team leader) Lt Czavicevic (Security), Lt Brit (Science) and Dr. Highwater. I sent the transporter coordinates from main ops and feed them into the transporter controls. The Federation had an agreement with the Thur that we would enter the stations from an external shuttlebay area, so that is where I transported them to. Every one was issued a phaser and tricorder, to be on the safe side. Right after they entered the transporter room, I was given cleared to beam them over. I also kept an open comm link with the away team to the ship to make sure that the area was safe.

The Commander ordered a scan of the exterior of the Thudr station, to see if they had any damage. The scan showed signs of phaser and Photon torpedo damage on the starboard side of the station. After the scan, I contacted the away team an told them I would help them out if they needed to by pass and computer locks on the station.

Lt. Tison reported the the station was abandoned that there was a lot to investigate, and asked the Commander for a Second away team to help out and ops to download logs and such. Commander Randt Ordered myself and Lt. Mantis to beam over to the station. Our team went to there ops deck, and Lt. Mantis and myself uploaded data from the station computers to the tricorders to take back over to the ship The records showed that there was a fight on the station, against Klingon's and Orions. The station didn't use hand weapons but we found hands weapons over the floors and some blood. The doctor took samples of the blood. Lt Mantis found a personal audio log in the computer and she played it for the commander.

As i was looking through the data on their computers, I found a log for a shuttle craft/small ship that seemed to be in need of help. With their peaceful ways, they decided to bring the ship in to make sure that every one in it was OK. But when they went to check the shuttle out, it was a trick and that was when the attacks started. On closer examination, it appears the logs have been altered a bit in regard to the purpose and time frame of the attack. Commander Randt ordered all away teams to round back up to the shuttle bay on the station top beam back over to the ship. Before that. Lt. Brit asked if there might have been a gap between the attack an when the distress signal was sent out. I reminded them that we didn't get the distress signal until after we past the ion storm, and that the audio distress signal was set on repeat--so it could have been some time since the attack till we heard it. I had to help Lt. bypass a security terminal. I went over and unlocked it for her. After all data was uploaded, we beamed back over to the ship. then We gathered all our info and handed them over to the commander.

-----

Individual Log: LTjg Tess Tison
Position During Mission: Team Leader

I was assigned to be the team leader of the first away team. Our task was first to determine if it was safe, and then to try and sort out what happened. We beamed down to the station and found it completely abandoned. I sent security ahead to assure the station was safe and had medical/science begin running scans form the shuttlebay, collecting whatever evidence they could.

Once security determined it was safe, I reported to Cmdr Randt and his team beamed over. They went to the ops deck to download and examine various logs. My team when to the engineering deck first, where the the station research console was located. I asked LTjg Brit to examine the data and see if it was valuable enough to be worth kidnapping the station crew over. He determined that it was not.

Next, I brought my team to the deck with sickbay and the crew quarters. We found a lot of helpful evidence there, including traces of Orion and Klingon DNA, and weapons signatures. Apparently one of the usually passive Thur decided to fight back, using a kitchen knife as a weapon, and received minor injuries in the process.

After returning to the ship, we began to analyze the data and came up with an ion trail that we believe will lead us to the Orion ship that kidnapped the crew.

CONCLUSION:

We determined the Thur space station crew had been boarded and kidnapped by the Orions. We determined that the kidnapping was probably not related to their research and suspect that the crew was taken as slaves to be sold on the black market..

The mission was a success in that we gathered enough data to analyze the ion trail, are are able to chart a pursuit course. It is my sincere hope that we will be able to rescue both the 13 member Thudr station crew and the crew of the USS Magwitch.

In Service
LTjg Tess Tison, Chief Of Operations,
LTjg LeighAnn Mantis, Operation Officer,
LTjg Piper Hagel, Operations Officer
Jamie Czavicevic
UFSMC - Brigadier
UFSMC - Brigadier
Duty Post: Deputy Commandant of the UFSMC
Ship/Station Posted: UF Starfleet Marine Corps Head
Grid: Second Life

SS Tranquility
=A= Tactical/security Log =A=

Stardate: 1100608
Security Status: Yellow Alert

Log entry:
Justice 1 reported in that the USS Magwitch, over due for her arrival. And so we took the USS Spirite to try to find out what happened to the USS Magwitch. We are currently in Orbit of Thur Station which also went dark the same time as the USS Magwitch.

*Crew Roster*

CO Cmdr Kinney Randt-Rhode

Chief Medical Officer LTjg Hermione Highwater
Medical Officer Ens Rhea Czavicevic

Science Officer LTjg Scottybrit "Skot Brit" Resident

Asst Chief of Security LTjg Jamie Czavicevic

Chief of Operations LTjg Tess Tison
Operations Officer LTjg Leighann Mantis
Operations Officer LTjg Piper Hagel

Individual Reports:
Name: Jamie Czavicevic
Position: Vice Chief of Security
((OOC This report is a continueation of last weeks report))

As we Prepared to board the Thur station I assigned to LT Tison’s team and recommended to Cmdr Randt anyone boarding the station should be in LC gear with Phasers. The Commander Agreed. LT Hagel beamed us to the required Location per our agreements and I took a Security team into the station to secure engineering before allowing the rest of the team to enter. The engineering deck was empty Not a soul in sight it was eerie. Once my security team determined the deck was Safe Lt Tison brought the away team in and started their investigation while I took my security team to clear the remaining Decks. The entire station was empty not a soul on board. Once the station was clear I went to the Ops deck to try to retrieve the security logs but they were encrypted so I joined my team in Engineering. Commander Randt brought over a second team as soon as it was safe to do so; they began in Ops and started working on retrieving Data logs. And Blood samples were found on the security consol.

Lt Tison ordered our team to Medical and we moved down there. The Medical Deck had 3 components Medical, Crew quarters and Crew Mess. I started a search for clues and discovered Evidence of a struggle involving an Orion and one of the crew. Phaser blasts and Blood indicated that an Orion has been stabbed with a knife an struggled for a Disruptor.

After concluding our search of the Medical Deck I moved to ops to try to get the Constables Security logs. Lt Haggle assisted me in this and she was able to crack the encryption. The Security logs indicate that the Orions arrived and gained access to the station in the guise of a medical emergency. They quickly over powered the crew with a few minor struggles. One crew member was fatally wounded, the rest taken captive aboard the Orion Bird of Prey. The Orions apparently setup a Looping Distress signal to lure the USS Magwitch into the trap which appears to have worked as the Magwitch is missing

Conclusion:
The Orions set a trap for the USS Magwitch; Captain Jo’s Bird of Prey’s Involvement can only mean the sole purpose of this is to free our prisoner to avoid trial. I’m torn by who we should go after first our people on the USS Magwitch or our allies the thur crew taken prisoner by the Orions.

In service
LtJg Jamie Czavicevic
Vice Chief of Security, SS Tranquility
ScottyBrit Resident
Science - Captain
Science - Captain
Duty Post: Chief Science Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Veracruz
Grid: Second Life

SS Tranquility
SS 001
=A= Mission Log from Science =A=

Log entry:

We had arrived at the Thudr Station to find that there were no signs of life, but instead signs of a conflict. With the amount of weapons residue, there were at least two ships involved. Lt Czavicevic found that some of the weapons signatures matched both Orion and Klingon. There was no debris in the area however, so wherever the Magwich is, it wasn't destroyed here (and as was also pointed out, neither were the others). We were put at Yellow Alert and beamed down with everyone armed as a precaution. We couldn't beam directly aboard, as there was a standing agreement that visitors, etc. would beam onto a landing pad that was connected to a turbolift, then entering the station.

The first away team was led by Lt. Tison. The other members included myself, Lt. (jg) Jamie Czavicevic, and Lt. (jg) Dr. Highwater. I had out my tricorder and scanning, but nothing out of the ordinary showed. I will admit that I had the same feeling of eeriness as everyone else, due to the fact that the entire station was deserted. We started on the engineering deck. Neither Dr. Highwater nor myself were picking up any life signs. Security worked on checking the decks to make sure they were clear. At first there was not any DNA other than that of the Thur detected

A second team was sent to the Operations deck after it had been cleared by security, which was Cmdr Randt-Rhode, Lt. (jg) Hagel, Lt (jg) Mantis, and En. Dr. Rhea Czavicevic.

Lt. Tison brought my attention to one of the screens that had their research on it. They have been studying using natural emissions from local stars and other phenomena (such as nebulas) to power their ship, and to find better ways to utilize that power for various purposes on their other bases. The principle is similar to the Bussard collectors on federation starships. On federation starships, they work by collecting interstellar particles (such as hydrogen, deuterium especially) which is then sent to fuel storage tanks on board. What the Thur were working on was a way to convert the particles and gasses directly into power, bypassing a few converters, and to do so with a larger variety of substances. Their technology, though in some ways less advanced, at times is more efficient than what the federation uses. While their work is interesting, hardly cause for attack by the Orions, especially considering that the research would be useless to them. They would have to convert many systems in order to use this research, and that would cost more than it would give them gain- never the way Orions operate. Perhaps yet another reason why they were not armed much more than the bare minimum. I doubt anyone saw cause to increase protection at the time, due to the minimal amount of conflict their work would cause.

After determining that the attack had nothing to do with the research, we went down to the lower decks. These appeared to be their quarters. They vaguely resembled nests of Earth's aves. Although not made out of sticks and twigs as such, they were ovoid, and according to Lt Tison quite comfortable, though tricky to extricate oneself. There were seperate sleeping, dining, and bathing areas. On the tables were what appeared to be the remains of a meal, and without actual testing would have to say that visually they looked to be an annelid lifeform (similar to the common Terran earthworm- Lumbricus terrestris). Lt Czavicevic found a bloody "steak knife" under one of the tables. It shall have to be tested to see who the blood on it is from. There were also several blood stains and samples collected from various parts of the ship. I also took a few feathers from the beds. Although much time has passed, the remaining skin left on the shaft of the feather near the base should be enough to get at least an exclusionary DNA analysis, as in it will allow us to rule out a blood sample as being from a Thur, or rule it in as such, unless medical has a more defininitive sample. Of course, Dr. Highwater was able to get a basic profile of what Thur DNA looks like from the medical logs on the station, so this was more to test against a specific sample. As well, a sample of an eggshell was taken. Although I was fairly certain that it was not destroyed purposely by the Orions, as that is not the sort of thing they would usually do (such as no profit in it, nothing noteworthy to gain, etc.), an oxidation test would be much more definitive in calculating the amount of time that the interior had been exposed to open air, thus giving a time of how long it had been broken. After that, all teams returned to the USS Spirit to determine our next course of action, as well as analyze the data collected thus far. Dr. Highwater gave me a rather large collection of samples taken from the scene, some of which she stated were collected by Dr. Czavicevic.

thudr_001 by Scottybrit, on Flickr

Individual Reports:
Tricorder scans- Air quality of the station and the sphere around it was 76.8% nitrogen, 22.77% oxygen, and 0.61 other gasses (Carbon Dioxide among others). It is possible that this higher oxygen percentage is due to a lack of expiration in the breathing process. However, it could also be the preferred setting for the Thur. Although the oxygen level was slighty elevated compared to federation standard, it was not enough to warrent extra caution, apart from refraining from the deliberate lighting of fires (which is considered advisable in general).

Blood samples taken from various parts of the station consisted of Orion, Klingon, and Thur DNA. No other species or races were found. Thur DNA was confirmed from both skin samples from a few references in the downloaded medical logs. Further details of the results are the following:

Samples m1, m2, m4, and m5 from the Thudr Medical Room were of four different Thur sources. Samples m3 and m6 were from Orion sources.

Sample o1, taken from the security station on the Operations deck, was also Thur. Calculations based on surface area covered by blood spatter and pool suggest that the Thur officer most likely would have died of exanguination within 10 minute. This was clearly the most distinct evidence of a casualty.

Sample q2, q3, q4. q7 and q9 were all Thur. Samples q1, and q5 were Orion, with q5 having notable Klingon extraction mixed in. whether this was a muddling of the sample or evidence of a mixed ethnicity will need an individual cellular analysis. Samples q6, q8 and q10 were all Thur as well, but specifically matched the skin tags on the feathers taken from what resembled nests. So it would seem that these smaller samples were from hatchlings, possibly even early attempts to establish a pecking order. Another notable point of sample q10 is that it matched the DNA remains of the yolk residue inside the egg shell sample. This validates that the hatchling was alive long enough to grow some primary feathers, thus further verifying the two week dating. There was not enough blood of any of the "hatchling" extraction to cause the accusation that they were killed on the station. It seems that the young were not directly attacked in the initial onslaught.

The blood sample from the "steak" knife was found to be Orion, specifically the match to q1. The drip trail maps out a course from near the tables and headed over to the medical area, as the "tail" of the drops all point in that direction. They stop trailing at medical, and cease altogether there. I think it reasonable to suggest that the wound caused by the knife was wrapped in something there.

Oxidation level from the eggshell- oxidation of the remains of fluid and other substances on the shell suggest that it had been exposed to the environment for at least two weeks, confirming that it had been broken or hatched before the Orion's attack on the station.

Conclusion:
We most certainly have confirmation of an Orion attack on the station, and confirmation fo at least one casualty, unless there is data that has not yet been brought in. Whether or not the Thur were able to escape is debatable. The Orions would not have bothered to bring them with in my opinion. My personal deduction would be that any remaining Thur would have fled. As to why they attacked, I'm sure many of the crew, myself included, speculates that it was to liberate the prisoner in the Magwich's custody. Though not sounding terribly scientific, when testing gravity, one knows that things will "fall", the question becomes one more of how they will fall, than if. In this case, the question is more of how the Orions attacked and why, rather than if (or did). How exactly they did this, and why this station was chosen, is still being determined. I'm sure that once we have compiled all of the clues however that an answer will start to reveal itself.

In Service
Lieutenant (jg) Scottybrit
Science Officer, SS Tranquility
Skot Brit.

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

Γ Gamma Company Graduate 110222

Access Service Jacket

Return to “SS Tranquility”