UFSWeb Site Issues - November 26th

The Office of Computer Operations (CompOps in abbreviated form) is the coordinating authority for all UFS online representations, as well as the external communities. CompOps coordinates and structures all the information online and manages the (regular) updates to these communities. Hide the bacon.
Eddie Hagoromo
Command - Commodore
Command - Commodore
Duty Post: CompOps Director
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life

As a few of you are aware, UFS went dark from 6AM SLT on 26th November. This was a mistake on our part as there were a few essential systems that was overlooked causing the domain to go offline. Since the company hosting us was offline for the day we were attempting to switchover to a backup plan which also failed when situations like this happens.

What is CompOps attempting to do to prevent this?

We are working with certain members on creating a new failover system, with the biggest issue being the Database. With our limited knowledge (since who likes that database, you should have seen the horrors lurking in the corners of the server room with that running at night), it has bit a big hit and miss at us trying to support it.

Lizzy and myself will be working on a new server that can accommodate the growing needs of what UFS is now requiring in 2017 and beyond. This has been in the planning for the most of 2017 which is why we were in the dark, planning the best way to failover and soon this will begin. Hopefully, whereever you are in the world, you will have faster loading times and better responses to our sites. We know that many errors happened in the past and this will soon change so hang in there.

We will need your help as well.

What can you do?

Support the Academy and Personnel teams, Joint Chiefs may also have their staff to be on standby to help us out at this big change that will be coming up, so CompOps will be needing all the help and support we can get. If you see anything in world that links to our UFS sites, let us know so we are aware. Keep a copy of your Service Jackets on you, your academy records, your ranks with you. We are working our hardest to preserve every data we have.

Most importantly, give us your support for the coming weeks!
Alpha Company Graduate

Access Service Jacket
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

After some spectacular failures and issues with other hosting companies, I've been using Lunarpages to host my websites for many years. I only recall one instance of downtime. That happened for a couple of hours in the middle of the night when they were moving their server farm to a different city. It was announced a couple of weeks in advance. I am very very happy with their service and pricing.

When I first started building websites I chose 1uhost.com to host my files. BIG MISTAKE! They deleted all of my files, twice, and sent me emails both times saying "This is not our fault." I found out later by talking with other people that 1uhost is some kid in Turkey selling a hosting service, and HIS hosting company shut him down multiple times because his clients were sending out spam emails and other illegal stuff. So sometimes web hosting can be a painful learning experience.
Commodore Hal Jordan (GreenLantern Excelsior)

Service Jacket

Second Officer, USS Taylorholic Durant
Chief of Communications
Academy Director of Curriculum Development
Chief Archivist
Kressler Constantine
UFSMC - Major General
UFSMC - Major General
Duty Post: Commandant of UFSMC
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

We stand ready to assist you, Comrade Fleet Captain. :happy-cheerleaderkid:
Major General Kressler Constantine
Director of Testicular Affairs

Service Jacket: http://www.ufstarfleet.org/wiki/index.p ... onstantine
Eddie Hagoromo
Command - Commodore
Command - Commodore
Duty Post: CompOps Director
Grid: Second Life

Hal Jordan wrote:
After some spectacular failures and issues with other hosting companies, I've been using Lunarpages to host my websites for many years. I only recall one instance of downtime. That happened for a couple of hours in the middle of the night when they were moving their server farm to a different city. It was announced a couple of weeks in advance. I am very very happy with their service and pricing.

When I first started building websites I chose 1uhost.com to host my files. BIG MISTAKE! They deleted all of my files, twice, and sent me emails both times saying "This is not our fault." I found out later by talking with other people that 1uhost is some kid in Turkey selling a hosting service, and HIS hosting company shut him down multiple times because his clients were sending out spam emails and other illegal stuff. So sometimes web hosting can be a painful learning experience.
It's now being propped up with my bandaids for now! Nothing to worry! :D
Alpha Company Graduate

Access Service Jacket

Return to “Office of CompOps”